Monday, September 6, 2010

one.

And so it begins...

Our first day has mostly been a success. It was slow going at first and my time management got a little off-track but we've started!

Although I'd read that most homeschool teachers start off very scheduled only to completely abandon said schedule, I just had to follow a timeline of how our day should progress.

My daily task list is broken down to the hours and minutes and my curriculum came with a vague schedule to follow. I'm not a naturally structured person, so it felt imperative to keep some sort of an agenda. I might even be forced to buy a watch!

We start our days off like any other, but I've incorporated mandatory chores (bed making, tidying of rooms, etc.) and a half-hour in the garden before we begin class. I thought starting our morning with some fresh air and greenery might do us all some good! My children helped plant a few fall vegetables this morning and tomorrow they will plant seeds and learn how to weed. The rest of the day is broken down into academic blocks with P.E., computer, lunch, and quiet-time interspersed.

In case you were wondering, we're following a 4 day schedule, but will use our 5th day for field trips, foreign language and art. As for activities, we have yoga, soccer, piano and swimming to keep us socially and physically active. I'm not the least bit concerned with not being social enough. If anything, I'll need to make sure we have enough down time! And lastly, one of the best parts about homeschooling is that we can do it on the road. We have several trips on the horizon and I'm excited to be able to have the freedom to plan our schedule and factor travel into their education.

If there is one thing I know for certain, experiencing the world is probably the best education you can get!

4 comments:

torrie said...

amazing, amazing, amazing.

just read this to my husband and son, and we are all in agreement of this:).

Sarah said...

Yay! I am so excited for you! I was just wondering what you had decided. What a great journey for your family. I can relate to you in so many ways. It will be fun to be in it together.
Incidently, we just booked a trip at the end of the month--because we can!
Love your new blog!

little miss mel said...

Wow!!

Impressive. And I was just talking to someone about how I loved sending one of my kids out the door for part of the day. Sanity, I tell you. ;)

If anyone has the skills to do it, it's you. Quite a quality.

Can't wait to hear how it all goes!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on making this commitment. You'll do a great job. I wish I was a kid at your school. Field trip day sounds super fun!

val

Post a Comment